Have you ever wondered when the optimal time to post on social media is? Whilst there are general guides, it does depend on a variety of factors such as your location, industry and audience.
Social media platforms such as Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn and Twitter have specific days and times in which there are more people on the platform. Therefore there is likelihood for greater engagement.
Whilst these times are based off primarily a US audience, it compiles research from 25 studies which highlight common times for optimal social media posting. When going to post, brands should keep the general rule of posting to their audience before work, over lunch breaks and at home late at night. These times can still be used for Australian audiences.
When is the best time to post on Instagram?
Instagram is a visual social network that has a HIGHLY engaged audience. Overall, Instagram’s best day to post is Friday, however there are a variety of different times for different industries that can expect a flurry of activity.
- For B2C and B2B Businesses: the best time to post on Instagram is before work (around 8am), over lunch (1pm) and late at night (9pm).
- For software businesses: best times for companies to engage on social media is 11am, 1pm and 5pm.
- For healthcare companies: businesses tend to get better interaction around 10am and 2pm (mid morning and early afternoon)
- For media companies: the best times to post are when people are getting to work or on lunch breaks.
- For education: catching people immediately after work, around 6pm, is the best time for a responsive audience
When is the best time to post on Facebook?
Whilst Facebook has become a very ad heavy platform, there’s still opportunities for organic efforts to reach a broad audience. For Facebook, Thursday, Friday and Saturday are considered the best days to post on social platforms.
- For B2C and B2B Businesses: similar to Instagram, people tend to jump on Facebook when they have breaks during their day
- For software businesses: the best times for software companies to post are before work, after work and mid afternoon (around 9am, 3pm and 5pm)
- For healthcare companies: businesses tend to do better in the early mornings around 6-7am and midday around 11am – 12pm.
- For media companies: the best time to post news and updates tends to be at 7am, 11am and 6pm (think about when people would likely be catching up on daily news!)
- For education: the best times for posting are 8am, noon and 3pm.
When is the best time to post on Twitter?
Twitter is a great platform for engagement. If you have a stream of relevant and interesting content you are likely to get a high-volume of traffic. Every day is considered a good day to post for Twitter.
- For B2C and B2B Businesses: people tend to be on Twitter for a lot of the day as it’s consistently updated. But the best times for businesses are 7am-10am, lunchtime and when people are winding down for the night at 7pm-9pm.
- For software businesses: promoting software services on Twitter will likely get good engagements around 10am, 2pm and 6pm.
- For healthcare companies: 9am and 6pm are the best times for posting.
- For media companies: this industry are heavy publishers of Twitter content so the best time for posting is 6am-7am, 11am and 7pm-10pm.
- For education: for this industry its best to stick to mornings and evenings, around 8am and 5pm-9pm.
When is the best time to post on LinkedIn?
This platform is a professional network, so the best time to reach those users are during office hours. Based on the research, Wednesday seems to be the best day to post on this platform.
- For B2C and B2B Businesses: when it comes to this industry, the best posting times are 8am, noon and 6pm.
- For software businesses: for this industry, its best to stick to times like 9am, 11am – 12pm and in the early evening around 5pm-6pm
- For healthcare companies: mid morning at 10am and early afternoon from 12pm – 2pm are the best times for engagement.
- For media companies: people often read their news early in the morning, so for publishers its recommended they stick to times like 8am.
- For education: higher education will likely get the best engagement mid-morning, about 10am
Whilst this information is based off a number of sources, it’s a guide and it’s up to businesses to experiment with the times/ days that work best for their specific audience.
Need help with a social media strategy? Get in touch with our social savvy team today!
The content in this blog is derived from the source below. VO Group does not take ownership of the content.
Read more about the best times to post on social media here